Monday, November 10, 2008

NaBloPoMo Day 10: Dream Injury

Saturday night, I had a dream that I was teaching Max how to ski. It's what I used to do--teach skiing. The pay was bad, but I mostly did it for the cute-boy potential and the free season pass. I learned how to ski when I was right around Max's age. My mother tells a story about me at age three skiing full-speed down the bunny hill, singing "Joy to the World" at full volume: the Three Dog Night version, not the Christmas carol.

Sunday morning, before I even got out of bed, I noticed my left knee, which has always been my "good" knee, not that either are terrific after 30 years of skiing, was stiff, and a little swollen. When I got up, it felt sore, and wobbly, and unstable--the way it would after an ACL tear.

It now hurts pretty significantly--enough that I'm considering taking something stronger than a couple of Tylenol. To be honest, the whole leg hurts, the way it would if I were injured, trying to ignore it, and injuring it more significantly in doing so.

Here's the thing: I haven't done anything to injure it. I've barely been out of the house all weekend.

Does anyone have any theories as to how I may have injured myself in my sleep without waking myself up?

No comments: