Monday, November 3, 2008

NaBloPoMo Day 3: Knitting

I don't really take pictures of what I knit. For one thing, I don't think I'm that great a knitter. For another thing, I typically forget to take pictures of almost everything.

But I am knitting like a madwoman. I have a lot of yarn stashed, and instead of cooking expensive and decadent meals that I'm too wound up to eat, I am instead knitting madly. Lucky for me, other people take pictures of things very similar to things I am knitting. Here are some of them:

Noro Striped Scarf: See it Here, Here, and Here.

I am very fond of Noro Kureyon, which is a Japanese wool with incredibly vivid and beautiful colors and long color runs. This scarf is slightly different from what I'm knitting. The pattern calls for Noro Silk Garden, which I don't have stashed, in two different colors. I have a lot of one color of Kureyon, which I bought for a blanket which I still would like to make but that I don't have the stamina for right now. I also have a nice coordinating shade of merino wool which I'm using as the other color.

Next time (and there will be a next time, because I love this scarf) I might use two skeins of the same colorway. There is enough contrast within each skein that I'm thinking I'll like the results. I might bite the bullet and buy a few skeins of Silk Garden -- it's a sizable investment, but beautiful yarn.

Felicity: See it Here, Here, and Here.

This is named after some hat that Keri Russell wore at the Sundance Film Festival. I love it. It's slouchy and adorable and chocolate brown wool. I can't wait to wear it. I can't wait to make it in thirty different colors. Love, love, love love.

Pleat: Here, and Here.

The saddest thing in my life is that this will not look good on me. I would need far smaller boobs than I have for this to look anything other than appalling. But I have beautiful yarn for it, a silk/linen blend that I picked up in Kentucky when I was there for Kimberly's baby shower. I don't have any flat chested friends that come to mind immediately--if I'm forgetting about you, please let me know, because a much-cherished hand-made object may be coming your way shortly.

I also have a few other things going--Treen and Gerry's wedding gift, a shawl for my mother, a shawl for an undetermined recipient.

I am finding myself watching a lot of "West Wing" and knitting a lot these days. Both are wonderful escape for me.

2 comments:

Candy said...

I haven't knitted in years, but lately I've been feeling the bug. The problem is I never finish anything, so I'm resisting it. But those scarves really are beautiful. Where did you get such pretty yarn? My local craft store just has crap.

Molly said...

Candy - Most of my yarn comes from my local yarn store, called A Tangled Skein, in Hyattsville, Maryland. I adore it. You can find local yarn stores using KnitMap, http://www.knitmap.com/, which will give you local yarn stores on a map. I've found some wonderful stores with it.

Also, you can order Noro Kureyon and Silk Garden online. Try yarnmarket.com.

If that's more of an investment than you're willing to make, knitpicks.com is a good source of affordable and good quality yarn.

Personally, I like to touch my yarn before I buy it, but I'm funny that way.